ZocdocAnswersI have an abscess near the groin area, and it is turning black..so is it a good sign?

Question

I have an abscess near the groin area, and it is turning black..so is it a good sign?

I had chills and fever initially, but now it stopped. Now the skin on the abscess is turning blacking. The skin around it also hurts. 1.5 cm diameter. Can the bacteria be recognized by getting the blood tested? Medications already taken: Cephalexin Bactrim DS Zocef 500

Answer

I suggest going to see your doctor, as it is difficult to tell if the abscess is improving or not. For example, I would like to know if the abscess has been drained open or not, whether there is redness that is spreading around the abscess, whether the size of the abscess is growing, etc. It is good to hear that there are no fever or chills, which maybe suggests that the infection is not worsening. Sometimes, if the abscess has been lanced, your doctor will have send a culture of the pus that came out. This can be very helpful, as it can tell your doctor which bacteria is growing there and which would be the right antibiotic. That being said, many abscesses will heal just fine on their own without antibiotics as long as they are drained. If the area has not been drained, then it probably needs to be, as you have already taken antibiotics and the spot persists. Antibiotics do not penetrate into the middle of abscesses, so draining them is an important part of treatment. I would suggest that you see your primary care doctor as soon as possible or return to an emergency room for reevaluation of what is going on.