ZocdocAnswersI think I have PCOS. Should I see an endocrinologist or an OBGYN?

Question

I think I have PCOS. Should I see an endocrinologist or an OBGYN?

I have seen two different doctors and both said different things... One did a clinical evaluation and said I have PCOS, the other doctor told me to do a pelvis sono. No cysts were seen. What's the best advice on what to do?

Answer

As you know, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a complex endocrine system disorder in which results in weight gain, diabetes, irregular periods, trouble getting pregnant, and sometimes abnormal hair growth (for example on the face). The ovarian cysts are often found incidentally in patients with the disease which is where it got its name. However, PCOS does not actually require that you have cysts in your ovaries. Thus, I don't think your lack of cysts seen on the pelvic ultrasound is meaningful. PCOS is a clinical diagnosis that involves measuring blood hormone levels including androgens, and the gonadotropins LH and FSH. Treatment of the syndrome involves targeting the individual problems. Weight loss, control of diabetes, and controlling cycles with birth control are key parts to much of the therapy. My recommendation is that you schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist. He or she will be able to take a history pertinent to your endocrine issues and tell you for sure whether or not you have PCOS based on clinical criteria. If you do end up having PCOS, then this doctor will be able to help you with all the effects of this disease such as the diabetes, weight gain, abnormal cycles and hair growth. Good luck.