ZocdocAnswersWhat are the most common cognitive issues?

Question

What are the most common cognitive issues?

I believe my three year old has some sort of learning disorder. I am taking him to see a doctor. I would like to know about some of the more common cognitive isues.

Answer

There are many common learning disorders, some of which are variations on the normal childhood development continuum and others of which are more serious and could potentially impact the ability of your son to function independently. The best thing to do is to take him to visit with his pediatrician to identify what specific process is affecting your son. Many of these can be overcome with the excellent resources that are available and can be directed towards those with special needs. While a complete review of all of the learning disabilities is beyond the scope of this answer, a few of the common disabilities can be reviewed. Serious learning disabilities that are present from birth would likely have been noticed previously. One example of these is Down's Syndrome. Other disabilities can develop or become obvious as your child matures, including autism and Asperger's, both of which are disabilities that lie on the autism spectrum, and are increasingly common in the world. More subtle learning disabilities are numerous, and can be global or affect just a specific area of learning. Your pediatrician will be able to answer all of your questions, and also refer you to a specialist if needed.