Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How can I live a normal life with congenital kidney disease?"


I'm a 23 year old woman and I'm having trouble leading a normal college life with my kidney disease. What can I do or what activities can I participate in to help?


Congenital kidney disease is a difficult problem to cope with, especially during the college years, when so much of life is focused on activities that are hard on your body--including things such as diet and consumption of certain liquids. The good news is that there are others who are coping with the same difficulties and that you can make the healthy choices that you need without missing out on the college experience. While you will need to make difficult decisions at times, you do not have to make them alone.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Nephrologists near you

The American Association of Kidney Patients has a list of community support groups on its website, and offers numerous other resources that can be used to find the help that you need. Most colleges will also offer resources and groups that can help those with chronic medical conditions. Finally, your nephrologist and primary care doctor are able to serve as your advocates in making sure that you able to not only survive the challenge of college with a chronic disease, but also be able to minimize the impact your disease has on your ability to enjoy the experience. Please speak with your physicians to determine what resources and specific direction you need.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.