ZocdocAnswersWhat are some common cornea problems?

Question

What are some common cornea problems?

I'm female and 30 and I am experiencing blurred vision. Is this a problem with my cornea?

Answer

Blurred vision is a serious symptom and it needs to be investigated by your eye doctor as soon as possible. If the blurring of your vision has been gradual over months to years, then the most likely possibility is that you are simply near sighted and you may need an eye examination to see if glasses or contacts to correct your vision are necessary. On the other hand, if the blurring has happened more suddenly, then this is more of an emergency. If in addition to blurring, you also have tearing or a sensation like sand in the eye, then the most likely possibilities are conjunctivitis or a scratch on the surface of the cornea. On the other hand if you have pain inside the eye or a ring of redness around the iris (the colored portion of the eye) this is more consistent with an inflammation of the interior structures of the eye or a rise in pressure inside the eye. These two latter possibilities are quite serious eye emergencies, and they need to be evaluated quickly. I suggest talking your eye doctor as soon as possible. If you cannot get in quickly and you have serious symptoms, you should go to the emergency room.