Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are some common cornea problems?"


I'm female and 30 and I am experiencing blurred vision. Is this a problem with my cornea?


Blurred vision is a serious symptom and it needs to be investigated by your eye doctor as soon as possible. If the blurring of your vision has been gradual over months to years, then the most likely possibility is that you are simply near sighted and you may need an eye examination to see if glasses or contacts to correct your vision are necessary. On the other hand, if the blurring has happened more suddenly, then this is more of an emergency.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Ophthalmologists near you

If in addition to blurring, you also have tearing or a sensation like sand in the eye, then the most likely possibilities are conjunctivitis or a scratch on the surface of the cornea. On the other hand if you have pain inside the eye or a ring of redness around the iris (the colored portion of the eye) this is more consistent with an inflammation of the interior structures of the eye or a rise in pressure inside the eye. These two latter possibilities are quite serious eye emergencies, and they need to be evaluated quickly. I suggest talking your eye doctor as soon as possible. If you cannot get in quickly and you have serious symptoms, you should go to the emergency room.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.