ZocdocAnswersWhat will they check for at my craniofacial follow up?

Question

What will they check for at my craniofacial follow up?

I am a 29 year old man who had craniofacial surgery. Will they check for anything specific at my craniofacial follow up? I feel pretty good so far.

Answer

Craniofacial surgery performed after the age of infancy is an involved procedure given the importance of the bones of the head and face, as well as the excellent stability they have with relation to each other. To give specific details about what questions they might ask, it is important to know what type of surgery you had performed. For that reason, only simple routine post-op questions will be addressed here. In general, your doctor will ask if you have any complaints or have noted any new symptoms. Some of these might include fever, chills, redness or warmth at the surgical site or elsewhere. He or she will also ask about the function of the remainder of the involved and adjacent areas, i.e., are you eating and drinking well, any difficulty breathing, etc. You will be asked if you have noticed any other changes that have concerned you, and you will be given the opportunity to ask any questions you might have. Additionally, you will be given further instructions regarding surgical site care and anticipated healing time, as well as any activities to avoid short and long term. Your full recovery will be optimized with appropriate follow up, diligent wound care, and discussion with your surgeon.