Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

How often do I need to get the crowns on my teeth replaced?

I am getting crowns installed on two teeth. Will I have to ever have to replace them? How often if so? I'm now 38.
Unfortunately, all dental work, like most medical care, is not permanent. The survival of your specific crowns will depend in some degree on the care that you put into making sure that they survive as long as possible. Proper preventive health care, such as twice daily brushing and at least daily flossing as well as at least biannual checkups with your dentist and hygienist are essential to maintaining the optimal environment for improving the longevity of your new hardware. Despite the ambiguity inherent in treating any patient and providing any predictions without knowing more information, the common answer that is given to your question is that it will last about 10 years, give or take. This will depend on so many factors, however, that the number is only useful to know that it will endure for a somewhat extended period of time. Different types of material that are used and the varying skill level of those involved will also affect the longevity of your specific crown. With the proper care on your part and careful follow up with your dentist and hygienist, you can make sure that your crowns will last for the longest amount of time possible.

Other Dentists