ZocdocAnswersHow long does it take a crush injury to heal?

Question

How long does it take a crush injury to heal?

I'm 22 and male. I hurt my hand dirt biking. Will this heal soon?

Answer

Crush injuries are some of the most severe injuries that physicians and surgeons encounter. They are treated with respect because they are often so severe that they require amputation. This is because not only are the long bones fragmented and fractured, but all of the surrounding and supporting soft tissue that is necessary for a full recovery. Furthermore, there is always the risk that the inflammation that comes with the injury causes swelling within the muscle compartments, and then these muscle compartments are not able to get enough blood flow into them and they "suffocate," which then means that you have even more damaged tissue. The fact that you are asking about healing implies that you did not suffer this severe of an injury, but if you have not seen a physician, then it is imperative that you do so. He or she will be able to refer you to the appropriate specialists so that you can get the care that you might need. Additionally, they will be able to provide you with some sort of idea and time line for recovery, as well as suggested appropriate physical therapy activities to optimize your chances at a full and symptom free recovery of all function.