How do doctors treat a severe crush injury?

I have a very bad crush injury on my foot and I don't know how doctors will heal it. I'm a 28 year old woman and a car ran over my foot.
Crush injuries are some of the most complicated injuries that doctors and surgeons have to deal with. In addition to the trauma that always occurs with the soft tissues, including the microscopically vital blood vessels, the bones are often in such a condition that there is little that can be done to piece them together and pin them, despite the most excellent care. In such a situation, there is little that can be done, and the unfortunate result is occasionally amputation. That is, obviously, the worst case scenario, but it is important to realize that even such a poor result has some hope given the many excellent prosthetic limbs that have excellent results both functionally and cosmetically. That being said, the key is to discuss your concerns and questions with the orthopedic surgeon and rest of the team that will be caring for you. They will be able to show you the x-rays and images of your foot, and together you can discuss what options there are available. You will also likely need physical therapy after you are treated, regardless of the treatment method. With dedication in to rehabilitating your foot, you can anticipate an excellent functional outcome no matter what the treatment recommendation may be.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons