Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Will a CT scan of my spine show how to treat my injury?"

ZocdocAnswersWill a CT scan of my spine show how to treat my injury?


I was in a car accident when I was 38 and my back pain has gotten worse and worse. Will a CT scan help?


I am so sorry to hear that you have had a history of back pain, which can be a very debilitating condition. If the pain has continued for some time, it is very common for your physician to use some sort of imaging modality to see if there is any obvious source of your pain. Often, the first step in these situations is to obtain an x-ray, which is very good at demonstrating obvious bony abnormalities, such as malposition of the vertebrae, breaks, or other chronic damage. It is likely that you have had multiple x-rays of your back in the past, although you don't mention your current age, and so this might be less helpful for you if that information is already known. Depending on your symptoms and what causes you the most pain during your normal life, your doctor might then recommend 1 of 2 other common imaging modalities. CT scans are multiple x-rays shot from different angles and then reconfigured to make a great picture of what the bone are doing. They are not exceptionally good when it comes soft tissue injuries, such as muscle inflammation, however. For that reason, your doctor may recommend an MRI. Please continue to discuss your back pain and your questions with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.