Will my dental consultation tell me more about getting my wisdom teeth removed?

I'm 28 and want my wisdom teeth out. Will I get all the necessary information at my dental consultation?
Yes. Your dentist will be able to share all of that information with you at that consultation, and will also discuss scheduling and what to expect the day of the surgery. Many dentists remove wisdom teeth themselves, but there are some who will recommend an oral maxillofacial surgeon (OMFS doctor) to be the one that actually does the removal. Either way, your dentist will be able to answer all of the general questions that you might have about how the procedure will go, as well as what to expect the morning of the extraction as well as post operatively. Your dentist will likely take time to go over your x-rays with you as well, and discuss how many of your wisdom teeth will need to be removed. Additionally, he or she will discuss briefly your other relevant medical history including any bleeding history to see if there is anything that will be other than routine with your extraction. Pain control both during and after the procedure is also often discussed. Extraction of the wisdom teeth is a very common procedure, and people generally recover very well. Please feel free to ask any and all questions until you are comfortable with your understanding.

Other Dentists