ZocdocAnswersShould I schedule a dental consultation if it's time for me to get dentures?

Question

Should I schedule a dental consultation if it's time for me to get dentures?

My teeth are starting to feel loose. I'm a 67 year old woman. Is it time for dentures?

Answer

If you haven't had a dental consultation for some time, it is time to see your dentist! The recommendation is to see your dentist for cleaning and "routine maintenance" every 6 months or so, to make sure that there are no problems that are serious that can be caught and treated before they become even more serious. Additionally, the regular cleaning and help with oral hygiene has been found to improve the longevity of your remaining teeth. While dentures might be a good option for you, it would be important to speak with your dentist about the options available to improve your current situation. This will include a discussion about which foods you are avoiding because of your current dental situation. Adequate and appropriate dental hygiene is important for more than just the health of your teeth as well. An increasing body of evidence has found that poor oral hygiene is linked to other serious diseases, including some as serious as heart disease! Please see your dentist and hygienist soon so that you can maximize the health of your remaining teeth, discuss options to improve your eating situation, and improve your overall health.