search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I need to clean my dentures more than once a day?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I need to clean my dentures more than once a day?

Question

Doctor, I am 70 and now have dentures. How often should I clean them? Is once a day enough?

Answer

Denture care is simple and convenient, and usually needs to be performed only once per day. You will rinse and wash your dentures gently with a denture cleaning brush, making sure to clean them completely. If you are too aggressive, however, you run the risk of damaging your dentures, so please be cautious but thorough. You will then need to soak them in a denture cleaning solution as per the manufacturer's instructions, with most people preferring to do this overnight. Your dentist will be able to offer more information if you still have concerns, and there are a host of websites on the internet that are also helpful. One important thing to remember is that you will still need to brush your oral cavity and gums with a fluoride based toothpaste. In addition to cleaning your mouth and removing some of the bulk of the bacteria that remains in your mouth constantly, this brushing will improve circulation in the rest of your oral cavity, which is important in healing and the overall well being of your mouth. And please continue to follow up regularly with your dentist, as dentures will need to be adjusted occasionally as needed.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances