Do I need to clean my dentures more than once a day?

Doctor, I am 70 and now have dentures. How often should I clean them? Is once a day enough?
Denture care is simple and convenient, and usually needs to be performed only once per day. You will rinse and wash your dentures gently with a denture cleaning brush, making sure to clean them completely. If you are too aggressive, however, you run the risk of damaging your dentures, so please be cautious but thorough. You will then need to soak them in a denture cleaning solution as per the manufacturer's instructions, with most people preferring to do this overnight. Your dentist will be able to offer more information if you still have concerns, and there are a host of websites on the internet that are also helpful. One important thing to remember is that you will still need to brush your oral cavity and gums with a fluoride based toothpaste. In addition to cleaning your mouth and removing some of the bulk of the bacteria that remains in your mouth constantly, this brushing will improve circulation in the rest of your oral cavity, which is important in healing and the overall well being of your mouth. And please continue to follow up regularly with your dentist, as dentures will need to be adjusted occasionally as needed.

Other Dentists