ZocdocAnswersWill I have to floss my dentures?

Question

Will I have to floss my dentures?

My dentures smell by the end of the day. How can I prevent this? Do I need to floss them like real teeth?

Answer

The key to proper denture care is to make sure that you are cleaning them in a gentle manner with a denture brush in clean, warm water at least daily. You will then need to let them soak in a denture cleansing solution daily as well, as per the instructions of the cleaner. By brushing them carefully and completely, you will be able to avoid the plaque build up and smell that can come with leaving bacteria on your false teeth. While flossing is usually not necessary with the proper cleaning steps, you might occasionally find that it does help to remove bits of debris that do not come clear with gentle brushing and using the cleansing solution. Your dentist will be able to provide you with more tips during your regular follow up visits, which should be occurring twice annually. One thing that could be causing the odor that you mention is you failing to brush your gums with a fluoride based toothpaste. This is still important, even if you have no teeth, not only to reduce the bacterial burden, but also to stimulate blood flow throughout the soft tissue parts of your oral cavity. Please speak with your dentist if the odor continues or you have other concerns.