ZocdocAnswersWill a dermatologic consultation help me decide what form of acne treatment is best for me?

Question

Will a dermatologic consultation help me decide what form of acne treatment is best for me?

I am a 28 year old male who still has awful acne. Will seeing a dermatologist help? There seem to be so many medications. How can I choose the right one?

Answer

Your dermatologist will definitely be the specialist with the best knowledge of how to treat your specific variations of acne, and will be very familiar with similar patients. He or she will also have a very deep knowledge of the many medical and procedural treatments that are available, and should be able to help you feel like you have some degree of control in your life again. While many people will feel that their acne gradually improves with age, there are a significant number that do not have that same good fortune. For these people, it is imperative to get the help that they need from the right person so that they can stop having so much of their life be dedicated to concerns about their appearance. Your dermatologist will offer various treatment options, and together you can decide which is best. He or she will discuss with you what you have tried in the past, and what, if anything, has worked or failed. He or she will then review the severity of your condition, and then make an initial starting recommendation, which can then be tailored over time base on your response to the first therapy.