ZocdocAnswersWhat does treatment of a deviated nose septum involve?

Question

What does treatment of a deviated nose septum involve?

I was hit with a basketball to the face and now my septum is deviated. I'm a 24 year old woman. How long will this take to heal?

Answer

First off, I am sorry to hear that you were hit in the nose playing basketball. It's not at all an uncommon story in the otolaryngologists (ENT) office, however. I cannot speak directly to your case since I cannot take a good history or examine you, but I can give you some general information. Forgive me if this is too basic, but the septum is the divider that goes down the middle of your nose. the anterior half or so is cartilaginous, and the posterior part is bony. Typically when people break their nose and are told they have a deviated septum, it is referring to the cartilaginous part. There is mucosa that is lining your septum on each side similar to wallpaper being on both sides of a wall. In order to straighten the septum, the mucosal must be raised off of the cartilage (or bone if that is deviated), the deviated portion must be removed or straightened, and the mucosal flaps re-approximated in the middle of the nose again. Most of the time this is done as outpatient surgery. This should not affect the outward appearance of the nose. If there is deviation or abnormality of the nose when looking form the outside, the process becomes more complicated. I can't give you any real estimates about recovery since I don't know your history or what your exam is like. I recommend making a consultation with an ENT to be evaluated, and they should answer all of these questions which can be directed to your particular case. Hope this helps.