ZocdocAnswersWhat should I bring to my diabetes consultation?

Question

What should I bring to my diabetes consultation?

Are there any forms or food diaries I should bring to my diabetes consultation? I'm a 28 year old woman. I want to give them as much information as possible.

Answer

If you have already been diagnosed with diabetes, then there are a number of useful items that you can bring to your physician. A sample food diary would be a big help, as it can provide you both with a sense of your overall diet control and if there is a need to cut back on carbohydrates or other unhealthy foods. If you have a glucometer, you should bring that as well; your doctor can look at the range of blood glucose levels stored on the machine and try to identify any patterns of high or low values (which can help in medication titration). If your appointment is with a new doctor, it is often helpful to have information gathered from prior doctor visits, including the results of any blood work and vital signs measurements. It is always recommended that you bring an accurate list of medications to all of your doctor appointments as well. If you have not already been diagnosed with diabetes, then having all of the above information (with the exception of the glucometer) will also be helpful. You and your doctor will discuss your risk factors for diabetes and can talk about various methods of screening for this problem, if indicated.