ZocdocAnswersWhat's to be expected at a diabetes follow up?

Question

What's to be expected at a diabetes follow up?

What if I have it? How will my life change? I'm a 30 year old woman.

Answer

A diabetes follow-up appointment is for patients that have already been diagnosed with diabetes. If you have not been diagnosed with diabetes, then your doctor may elect to do screening for the disease. This can be done with a fasting blood glucose level. Alternatively, many practitioners are now using another blood test called a hemoglobin A1c, which reflects the level of blood sugar over the prior 3 months. The higher the number, the worse the control. Many patients diagnosed with Type II Diabetes will need to make major adjustments in their lives, including the use of oral medications to reduce their blood sugar, as well as efforts to lose weight, exercise and consume a healthier diet. If blood sugar remains uncontrolled after these measures, then insulin therapy may need to be initiated to help avoid the long-term side effects of uncontrolled diabetes, such as eye and kidney disease. Patients with diabetes should see their doctors several times per year to ensure adequate sugar control and to screen for the complications of the disease.