Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"To whom should a male go for an STI testing?"

ZocdocAnswersTo whom should a male go for an STI testing?


I want a complete STI testing and was unsure whether a male should consult a PCP or gynecologist.


Men can receive a sexually-transmitted infection screening from their primary care physician. For a complete screen, both blood and urine tests should be run. Blood tests can be used to screen for Hepatitis B and C, HIV and syphilis; urine tests can be used to screen for gonorrhea and chlamydia (no longer does this require swabs of the urethra). If you have recently had unprotected sex and are concerned that you may have contracted a STI, then you should inform your doctor at the start of your visit. He/she may want to perform additional testing to cover the possibility of a recent infection that may not show up on the standard routine screening tests. You can also discuss methods of safe sex and how to best reduce your chances of contracting a STI in the future.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.