ZocdocAnswersWhat does treatment does diabetic foot care require?

Question

What does treatment does diabetic foot care require?

Hi. I'm a 50 year old woman and with diabetes. I want to be really careful with my feet. How can I treat them?

Answer

Foot care is an important part of the care of any diabetic. Vigilant watching is recommended for a number of reasons, including the risk of development of ulcers and the complications associated with these ulcers. Diabetics may develop neuropathy which can reduce the sensation in the nerves in the feet; the feet are usually affected first because the nerves innervating the feet are the longest in the body. Diabetics may also have poor blood circulation on the microscopic level; combined with the chance of having a relatively weakened immune system in the setting of poor blood sugar control, these factors may make an infection slow to respond to treatment. It is recommended that diabetics wash and check their feet daily. They should use care in trimming their nails, avoiding any kind of cutting into the skin or cuticles. Care should be taken to avoid injury to the feet, including wearing comfortable socks and shoes and avoidance of walking barefoot. Foot exams should also be part of the routine diabetic follow-up appointments with your primary care doctor. Furthermore, as is recommended for the overall treatment of your diabetes, you should try to maximize control of your blood sugar through a healthy lifestyle, including a healthy diet, exercise and cessation of smoking.