ZocdocAnswersWill an emergency ENT visit get a stuck lego out of my son's nose?

Question

Will an emergency ENT visit get a stuck lego out of my son's nose?

My son got a lego stuck in his nose. Can an ENT get it out ?I don't want to hurt him.

Answer

If you cannot see or extract the lego your self (and in fact you shouldn't try if it doesn't seem simple, as you may accidentally push the lego further in), you should go to the emergency room. It is not necessary to see an ear, nose and throat doctor for most of these cases. Most emergency room doctors should be able to take care of this problem for you. In fact you could even call your pediatrician's office to ask if they can handle the problem, because many pediatricians (not all) will also have the necessary equipment in their offices to remove these. In the emergency room it may be necessary to give your son some medication to calm him down, depending on how cooperative he is with the doctors. Alternatively, staff from the emergency room may simple help you to restrain him so the doctor can work. Then the doctor will probably attempt to remove the object with forceps or another medical instrument. This is almost always successful. Only in very complicated cases where the object is very high or very difficult to remove will it be necessary to involve an ear, nose, and throat doctor.