ZocdocAnswersWill an emergency eye visit help me stop tearing?

Question

Will an emergency eye visit help me stop tearing?

Hello. I am a 30 year old male and I recently started tearing for no reason and haven't been able to stop. I am going to the emergency room. What could have caused this?

Answer

I think that going to the emergency room is the right thing to do. The most likely thing is that you have a scratch or other damage to the cornea, which is the clear surface of the eye. This causes sudden tearing and can be very uncomfortable. Sometimes we do not even notice why we have damaged the cornea (it could be a fingernail or other stray object, for example). In the emergency room, the doctors will be able to place a special dye on the surface of the eye to look for any scratches or other problems with the cornea. Depending on what they find, it may be necessary to involve an eye doctor. In addition to scratches to the cornea, other problems with the eye can also cause tearing, redness, and pain. These can include acute glaucoma, when the pressure in the eye climbs suddenly, or uveitis, which is an infection or inflammation of some deeper structures under the cornea. The emergency room doctors will also be able to help you sort this out and they will determine whether you need any medications or whether you need a more thorough examination by an eye doctor in the emergency room.