ZocdocAnswersWill an emergency orthodontist visit help put the wire of my braces back in place?

Question

Will an emergency orthodontist visit help put the wire of my braces back in place?

II'm a 27 year old male. I bit into an apple and somehow snapped one of the wires on my braces. It is now poking my lip painfully. I need to get this fixed. Why did this happen? It was just an apple.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that this happened! Unfortunately this is a common problem with braces, and some of these wires may move or snap with eating or other motion, even just from an apple! The first thing you might try is to reposition the wire so that it is less painful. You could do this by pressing on it with the eraser end of a pencil, for example. If this doesn't work, you might be able to coat it with some of the wax that your orthodontist probably gave you when you got the braces. You should not, however, try to cut the wire, as you may damage the braces. Next, contact your orthodontist's office and explain what has happened. They will likely be able to get you in quickly to readjust the braces and fix the problem. If you develop any sores in your mouth from having the wire poke your gums, try gargling with warm salt water to reduce swelling, soothe the pain, and help prevent infection. If you cannot get in touch with your orthodontist (for example if it is a weekend) and you have severe pain, you could go to the emergency room as a last resort.