Will an EMG detect muscle diseases?

I have poor muscle control in my leg. I am a 30 year old woman and it's inconvenient. I haven't changed my diet or exercise.
An EMG (short for electromyography) is a very valuable test that is often performed in conjunction with nerve conduction testing and can be used to determine how well the muscles of your body are interacting with the nerves that supply them, and how well electricity is flowing through both. A form of electricity is used by your body to control almost all of the movements and muscle activity, and so these tests can be useful in diagnosing certain types of medical disorders involving either the nerves or the muscles. It is not the appropriate test for all patients, however, and is useful in only a small subset of patients. More effective is a physical exam and review of your medical history by a careful neurologist, the kind of doctor that treats nerve and muscle disorders. He or she will be able to do simple bedside testing that will provide a wealth of information about the location of your problem, as well as develop a list of possible diagnosis that will then be narrowed in by further testing, possibly including an EMG. Please speak to your primary care doctor or a neurologist about your symptoms and what testing is needed, if any.

Nearby Neurologists

Other Neurologists