search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is an endocrinology consultation needed before surgery?"

ZocdocAnswersIs an endocrinology consultation needed before surgery?

Question

I am 32 and want to prepare as much as I can for the surgery.

Answer

Endocrinology consultation prior to a surgery may be beneficial for patients with complex endocrinological issues. In surgery, the stress on the body is increased. To compensate for this stress and maintain adequate blood pressure and heart rate, the body needs to increase the levels of certain hormones and steroids such as cortisol. For patients with a history of adrenal insufficiency on cortisol replacement, endocrinologists will typically advise patients to increase their cortisol dosing around the time of the surgery. For patients undergoing a type of endocrinologic surgery (such as removal of the adrenal glands or thyroid), then consultation with an endocrinologist is helpful in determining needs for hormone replacement before and after the procedure.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.