Is an endocrinology consultation needed before surgery?

I am 32 and want to prepare as much as I can for the surgery.
Endocrinology consultation prior to a surgery may be beneficial for patients with complex endocrinological issues. In surgery, the stress on the body is increased. To compensate for this stress and maintain adequate blood pressure and heart rate, the body needs to increase the levels of certain hormones and steroids such as cortisol. For patients with a history of adrenal insufficiency on cortisol replacement, endocrinologists will typically advise patients to increase their cortisol dosing around the time of the surgery. For patients undergoing a type of endocrinologic surgery (such as removal of the adrenal glands or thyroid), then consultation with an endocrinologist is helpful in determining needs for hormone replacement before and after the procedure.

• Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235