ZocdocAnswersIs an endocrinology consultation needed before surgery?

Question

Is an endocrinology consultation needed before surgery?

I am 32 and want to prepare as much as I can for the surgery.

Answer

Endocrinology consultation prior to a surgery may be beneficial for patients with complex endocrinological issues. In surgery, the stress on the body is increased. To compensate for this stress and maintain adequate blood pressure and heart rate, the body needs to increase the levels of certain hormones and steroids such as cortisol. For patients with a history of adrenal insufficiency on cortisol replacement, endocrinologists will typically advise patients to increase their cortisol dosing around the time of the surgery. For patients undergoing a type of endocrinologic surgery (such as removal of the adrenal glands or thyroid), then consultation with an endocrinologist is helpful in determining needs for hormone replacement before and after the procedure.