ZocdocAnswersWill an endocrinology follow up involve discussing my thyroid issues?

Question

Will an endocrinology follow up involve discussing my thyroid issues?

I am a 31 year old woman with thyroid problems. Will an endocrinology follow up help me?

Answer

Thyroid dysfunction is a very common problem encountered in the outpatient medical setting, especially in the young female population. Primary care physicians can usually diagnose and treat a variety of thyroid disorders, but occasionally will refer patients to an endocrinologist for more specialized care. Endocrinologists specialize in disorders of the body's glands, including the thyroid, and are familiar with the more specialized tests that are used to diagnose and treat thyroid disorders. You should talk to your primary care physician about what is being done for your thyroid problem and if there is a need for referral to an endocrinologist for further care.