Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Can my pelvic pain be endometriosis?"

ZocdocAnswersCan my pelvic pain be endometriosis?


I am experiencing pelvic pain. I am a 33 year old woman. Is this endometriosis? What other symptoms should there be if it is?


There are many potential causes for pelvic pain. You will need to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to help you figure this out. Endometriosis is caused when tissue from the uterine lining escapes out into the abdominal cavity and grows. This can cause pelvic pain, usually that cycles with the menstrual period, as well as heavy periods, bloating, and other symptoms. Other causes of pelvic pain can include uterine fibroids, which are benign muscle tumors that grown in the uterus, causing cramping, pain, and heavy menstrual bleeding. Sexually transmitted infections such as chlamydia and gonorrhea can also cause pelvic pain, especially when they ascend into the uterus and fallopian tubes, causing an inflammation know as pelvic inflammatory disease. Pelvic pain can also be related to other symptoms, especially the gastrointestinal system. For example, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome can both cause pelvic pain. As you can see the list of potential causes is long! Therefore you will need to see your doctor. They will ask more questions and perform a full physical examination including a pelvic examination. This will allow them to narrow the list of potential causes and help you decide what further workup is needed.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.