ZocdocAnswersDoes endometriosis cause abnormal bleeding?

Question

Does endometriosis cause abnormal bleeding?

I am a 29 year old woman and I have been bleeding between periods. Is this a symptom of endometriosis?

Answer

What you are describing we call menometrorrhagia. This is when women experience bleeding, sometimes excessive bleeding, between periods as well as during periods. Menometrorrhagia can be cause by a few different things but the top ones are endometriosis and uterine fibroids. Uterine cancer is on the list as well, though in someone your age, it would be quite uncommon. Endometriosis is a condition where parts of the endometrium (inner lining of the uterus) move and grow outside of the uterus. The most common place for this to occur is in the fallopian tubes. Endometriosis can cause abnormal uterine bleeding like what you are experiencing. It can also be a cause of infertility (having trouble getting pregnant). Probably the most common symptom that women report is painful menstruation. Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus that grow and can cause excessive bleeding and pelvic pain as well. They are more likely to cause menorrhagia which is excessive bleeding, but not in between periods (only during your period). I suggest that you bring this issue up with your OBGYN. He or she can take a detailed history of these symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam including a pelvic exam. Hopefully, you can get to the bottom of this problem and get treatment.