ZocdocAnswersWhat causes eyelid inflammation?

Question

What causes eyelid inflammation?

Hello. My left eyelid looks a lot bigger than my left. Is it because of how I slept or do I have an infection? It looks very strange

Answer

There are a few possibilities. One is that you have conjunctivitis, which is an infection of the eye, usually caused by a cold virus. Usually there is redness and itching of the affected eye and there may also be a yellow crusty drainage. Conjunctivitis is usually treated just with warm compressed and good hand hygiene to avoid contaminating the other eye or other people. Another possibility would be blocked gland in the eyelid, usually known as a stye. These cause eyelid redness and inflammation. Again, they are typically treated with compressed to reduce the inflammation and open up the closed duct of the gland. Occasionally, if they become very inflamed, they may need antibiotics from your doctor. Blepharitis is an infection of the eyelid margin just at the eyelashes, sometimes worsened by applying eye make up. Again, the mainstay of treatment are compressed and regular cleaning of the eyelid while in the shower, although some doctors will want to use antibiotics in more advanced cases. As you can see, there are several possibilities. The best thing would be to see your primary care doctor who will help you figure out what is going on and decide if treatment is necessary or not.