ZocdocAnswersI am losing / shedding a lot of hair for past 3-4 years. How can I cure this?

Question

I am losing / shedding a lot of hair for past 3-4 years. How can I cure this?

I have lost my hair quantity to 1/4th of it's original quantity. I have itchy scalp and dandruff never gets out even though I wash my hair. Head and Shoulders work but doesn't cure it. Please help before I go bald

Answer

When dealing with hair loss, the first and most important thing is to determine whether the hair loss is related to scarring or inflammation in the scalp or not. In your case, it sounds like it might be, because you have significant itching and dandruff. The most likely possibility, therefore, is that you have seborrheic dermatitis. This is an inflammation of oil producing regions of the skin like the scalp and the creases in the face. It leads to red, itching, and scaling areas of skin and, when it occurs on the scalp, can also cause hair loss. Although anti dandruff shampoos like Head and Shoulders often work for mild cases, more advanced cases often require steroid lotions or shampoos or antifungal lotions or shampoos. You should talk to your primary care doctor about this. Once the inflammation and itching in your scalp is cleared up, I would expect your hair loss to stop. If not, then it will be time to investigate other unrelated causes of hair loss, including nutritional problems like iron deficiency and thyroid gland problems. Start with a visit to your primary care doctor to talk about your scalp itching and to set up a plan to get that under control.