What to do if you suffer from a severe case of anxiety with a case of insomnia?

I cant get onto airplanes and underground trains alone.
It sounds like anxiety is have a very bad effect on your quality of life. Anxiety can also cause health problems like high blood pressure, heart disease, and can even make stomach ulcers worse. Anxiety can be due to many different psychiatric conditions. The purest one is an entity called Generalized Anxiety Disorder. This is an anxiety disorder in which people generally feel anxiety throughout most days and about most activities. People with this disorder do have trouble with airplanes, but also have trouble traveling in general. Panic disorder is another condition with anxiety as a component, but the main complaint people have is the sudden onset of panic during certain situations. Finally, anxiety like what you are describing can be secondary to depression. The fact that you are also reporting insomnia makes depression more likely. Insomnia can come secondary to any of the aforementioned anxiety disorders. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist has the expertise to diagnose your type of anxiety and determine if there is any other underlying condition such as depression which is making your anxiety worse. You will likely need a trial of a anti-anxiety medication such as an SSRI (examples Prozac, Zoloft or Celexa). I think this will really help. Good luck.

Other Psychiatrists