How do I go about getting my tonsils removed?

I've had tonsil stones, swollen adenoids and tonsils on and off for years.
So sorry to hear that you have had to live with these problems for so long. Fortunately, all of these should be cured or vastly improved via the simple procedure of a tonsillectomy. First, you will need to speak to an ear-nose-and throat surgeon (aka otolaryngologist) with an excellent reputation, and who you also feel comfortable with. Some insurance plans require a referral from your primary care doctor before going to see a specialist such as an ENT, but your history of tonsil stones and tonsillitis would seem to make you a surgical candidate (meaning someone for whom surgery would be appropriate). After you have identified a qualified surgeon, he or she will go over the procedure with you in detail. It is generally a same day surgery performed under general anesthesia (meaning that you are completely asleep and will not remember anything), but you will need some time off of work or school given the soreness that you will have post-operatively. You will also need to have someone available to drive you home from the hospital, given that some of the medications used can cause drowsiness. Please speak to your primary care doctor or a specialist to further discuss the treatment.

• Dr. Robert H. Woods
    Dr. Robert H. Woods MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    9767 North 91st Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85258
  • Dr. Robert Roberts
    Dr. Robert Roberts DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    9280 SE Sunnybrook Blvd.
    Clackamas, OR 97015
  • Dr. Sheldon Greenberg
    Dr. Sheldon Greenberg MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    761 Main Avenue
    Norwalk, CT 06851