Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Can group therapy help those dealing with grief?"


I lost my husband about two years ago and I'm still hurting. I am a 31 year old woman. Should I consider group counseling? I'm exercising to try to keep my food up.


I am sorry to hear that you are having to go through this trial at this time. 2 years is a long time to be suffering, and there is no perfect way to help anyone through this time. It is important to know that it is appropriate to have grief after such a loss, and that there is a normal mourning period.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Psychiatrists near you

This becomes more significant when it begins to block your ability to function and move on beyond the initially traumatic time period, however. If your grief is still affecting you to such a great degree at this point, you should definitely seek further guidance and professional assistance. There are many resources available, and you need to find the best fit for you. Exercise and a healthy diet are vital to helping to cope with the stress and the effects of this loss, but they are only a part. Your primary care doctor will be able to discuss this with you in detail and determine if your grief is such that you need the help of a medical professional or possibly even medications to help you over this time of grief. Please also enlist the help of local resources such as family, friends, religious advisers, and therapists. Group therapy can be invaluable for many, but it will depend on the "fit" that you have with the group and methods.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.