What role does depression play during a gynecologic oncologist consultation?

Is it normal to be depressed during my gynecological oncologist consultation? I'm 28.
I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with what sounds like a gynecological cancer issue. Having a diagnosis of cancer is very stressful, and it can lead to depression and other mood symptoms, both immediately after the diagnosis and also over the long haul as you undergo treatment. Many of the medications that may be used in treatment may also make you feel physically quite unwell, which may worsen the mood symptoms. It is very important to have your depression symptoms evaluated and treated. Not only do these symptoms negatively impact your treatment, but they also decrease your quality of life and ability to interact with family and loved ones and do things that you enjoy. You can begin by speaking of this issue with your cancer doctor. Often they will feel comfortable treating mild cases of depression. If they do not feel comfortable, they may refer you to a psychiatrist who has experience treating mood problems in people who have a cancer diagnosis. Your cancer treatment center also probably has many other resources that you can tap into, such as counseling, therapy, and spiritual support, as well as access to support groups with other patients and social workers.

Other Psychiatrists