ZocdocAnswersAre trembling hands a sign that something's wrongs?

Question

Are trembling hands a sign that something's wrongs?

I was almost in a car accident and my hands trembled for a good half hour after. I am a 26 year old woman. Is this something to be afraid of or just nervees?

Answer

I don't think you need to worry about the trembling in your hands particularly. A car accident is a very traumatic experience and it is quite normal to have "a case of the nerves" afterwards. This should gradually settle down, and it is a nearly universal experience. Over the next few days after your car accident it will be important to pay attention to your body however. Sometimes there can be nerve and muscle strain in the neck and back. Therefore over the next few days after the accident you actually may develop worsening stiffness and pain in the neck or back. You can take an over the counter anti inflammatory medicine like ibuprofen for this. However, if the pain becomes very severe or if you develop any other significant symptoms such as severe headache or numbness, tingling, or weakness in your arms or hands, feet or legs, you should go to see your doctor or go to the emergency room as these may be signs of a worse injury from the car accident. If you do not have any serious symptoms, then try to keep up your activity level, as physical activity will help you return back to normal quicker.