ZocdocAnswersWhat should I know going into my hand surgery follow up?

Question

What should I know going into my hand surgery follow up?

Everything feels all right, but I am tired a lot these days.

Answer

I am not sure what you had hand surgery for, so my response is a bit limited. However, the good news is that everything feels alright. Presumably, this is primarily what the followup is for, to make sure there are no major issues such as pain, swelling, or nerve problems (numbness, tingling, weakness) and that mobility is returning and you are able to function normally using the hand. Assuming all of this is the case, then I think the followup appointment will be fairly brief. If you have any of the symptoms I just mentioned to you, then you should definitely mention them to your orthopedic or hand surgeon. At the same time, it is very unlikely that feeling tired is related to your hand surgery. It might be related to simple stress or not sleeping well. Tiredness can also be a sign of multiple medical problems, such as thyroid problems, anemia, or depression, although there are usually other symptoms as well. However, the main point is that these are things that a hand surgeon does not deal with; rather they are things that you should talk to your primary care doctor about at your very next scheduled appointment with them.