Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have hay fever in the psring?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have hay fever in the psring?


My allergies are out of control. How can pollen make me feel so bad?


Unfortunately this is very common. In the spring, plants are producing flowers and pollen, and so the pollen counts get very high. If you have an allergy to pollens, this is a very bad time of year because the number of pollen particles floating in the air is at its highest levels. You should talk to your primary care doctor about these symptoms. There are multiple excellent medications that can be used to control allergy symptoms, depending on what particular symptoms you have. For example, itching and watering of the eyes can often be controlled with a non sedating anti histamine such as loratidine (Claritin) or cetirizine (Zyrtec). If the primary symptoms are nasal congestion and sneezing, then a nasal steroid spray, such as fluticasone (Flonase), may be indicated. Another medication that is commonly used to treat allergy symptoms is montelukast (Singulair). You doctor, after a physical examination, will be able to make some recommendations about which medications are right for you. Additionally, in the future, you may want to consider starting a medication regimen to treat your allergy symptoms prior to the start of allergy season. This way, you can keep the symptoms under better control before they get out of hand.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.