ZocdocAnswersWhat treatment options will they offer at my head oncology follow up?

Question

What treatment options will they offer at my head oncology follow up?

I am a 38 year old woman. I would like to know my treatment options.

Answer

I am not sure. There are many different types of head cancer conditions, and so it is difficult to know what treatment options will be offered to you without knowing what type of cancer you have and what has happened up until now. Basic concepts include determining whether the cancer has spread or not (metastasized). If so, this increase the chances that you will need body-wide treatment with chemotherapy, which are special drugs which help to kill off cancer cells. If the cancer has not spread, it may be treated with surgery to cut it out. Depending on what type of cancer it is, this may be all the treatment that is needed, although many cancers have a higher risk for recurring and so they are treated with a combination of surgery and chemotherapy. Radiation therapy, applying high energy beams to focused areas where cancer is growing, is another therapy that is often used in certain head and neck cancers. You should write down all the questions you have about your condition and its treatment options in preparation for your upcoming appointment. At the appointment, your oncologist (cancer doctor) should be able to answer them all for you and describe what the next steps in treatment will be.