ZocdocAnswersDoes my head oncology follow up include neck treatment?

Question

Does my head oncology follow up include neck treatment?

What about my neck? Is neck treatment included?

Answer

Head oncology covers a wide range of medical and surgical specialties, and it is important to understand that doctors often work as part of a team to make sure that you are treated appropriately and optimally. In general, if you are discussing oncology (ie, the study of tumors, usually referring to cancer when used by doctors and patients) of your head and are also referring to your neck, a head and neck surgeon (aka otolaryngologist aka ear-nose-and throat surgeon) will be the primary doctor managing your care. He or she may suggest that you also visit radiation oncologists and medical oncologists, who would be able to treat you with radiation therapy or chemotherapy, respectively. Any of these would be focused on your overall health, meaning the eradication, if possible, of cancer from all parts of your body, including your neck. Depending on the type of cancer you have, and how far it has spread, surgery might or might not be included in the treatment. Regardless, you should have confidence in knowing that your doctors will be able to answer all of your questions and refer you as needed if needed. Please speak openly about your concerns and questions.