ZocdocAnswersCan head surgery consultation stop my seizures?

Question

Can head surgery consultation stop my seizures?

I am a 35 year old woman who has seizures. Will head surgery help?

Answer

Elective neurosurgery to improve the life of those who suffer from seizures by eliminating the area of the brain that is generating the seizure can be a very effective option for many people, but it is not the perfect fit for everyone. You should speak with your doctor and neurosurgeon to see if it might be a good fit for you, and you should understand that, even in the patient with the ideal anatomy, it is not always effective and there can be serious complications. For those who have a solitary area in their brain that is causing the seizures (as in those with a remote history of trauma or isolated infection), if this area is in a location that is relatively easy to access during surgery, this might be a good fit. Again, it is imperative to have an open and honest discussion with your doctors before proceeding to this point.