ZocdocAnswersWhich diets are considered heart strengthening?

Question

Which diets are considered heart strengthening?

Hello. I'm a 30 year old woman whose family has a history of heart disease. What can I do to prevent me from getting it? What can I eat?

Answer

Heart disease comes in a few different varieties. If you have a family history of heart disease, I imagine that you probably have relatives that have had coronary artery disease, and heart attacks. In some families with specific genetic problems, heart disease can appear very early (20s and 30s). If your family is like most, and people are developing their heart problems in their 50s and 60s, then I think I have some advice for you. Since you are a women, your risk of heart disease is quite low until after you reach menopause. There are things you can do with your diet and lifestyle now which will pay dividends for you after menopause. You can start with a diet low in saturated fats and low in simple sugars like candy, white bread, and pastries. While these foods are okay every once in a while, they can be detrimental to your health if consumed over the long run. Finally, regular exercise, keeping your weight in the normal range, and not smoking are all critical parts of your life that we have found play a key role in preventing heart disease. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can review all of your cardiovascular risk factors and determine if anything can be done now to reduce your risk. This is the best first step you can take to avoid heart disease in the future.