ZocdocAnswersWhat symptoms should I report at my heart valve surgery follow up?

Question

What symptoms should I report at my heart valve surgery follow up?

Hi. I'm male and 38 and just had my first heart valve surgery. What symptoms should I look out for now that it's done?

Answer

Your first followup visit with your cardiac surgeon will mostly be about making sure that your surgical wounds are healing, that your pain from the surgery is decreasing or gone, and that some of the symptoms that you were having prior to the surgery are beginning to subside. With regards to the latter, if you were previously experiencing shortness of breath, inability to exercise, or feelings like you were going to pass out, these should begin to get better as soon as you are able to move around more. Your surgeon will want to know about any improvement in these symptoms as well as any other symptoms you may be having. Before going to your follow up appointment, you should take the time to sit down and write out a list of any symptoms that you may be having. In addition, you should write down any questions that you have for the surgeon. This way you do not forget to mention something or ask something during your appointment. Some things your doctor will definitely want to know about is pain or redness around your wounds, fever, or any changes in your skin. Symptoms like this should prompt you to seek medical care right away. Good luck.