ZocdocAnswersWill eating less salt reduce my high blood pressure?

Question

Will eating less salt reduce my high blood pressure?

It is very high and I am 29 years old.

Answer

Salt is one of the factors that is involved in high blood pressure, but if your blood pressure is extremely high, there might be more involved in your specific situation than just high salt intake. You should speak with your primary care doctor about what steps need to be taken to reduce your blood pressure to safe levels. Salt is often implicated in high blood pressure, and it is almost always recommended for those with high blood pressure to reduce their salt intake. This is because salt is one of the key methods that your body uses to control its water content. In other words, the water that you consume will come and go from your body depending in large part on how much salt you have consumed. When you eat lots of salt, you need liquid to avoid that dry feeling. This leads to a gain in water weight, as well as an increase in your blood volume. If you think of your blood vessels as a water balloon, the addition of extra water will obviously lead to higher pressure in the balloon. Over time, this extra pressure can result in a myriad of problems, including heart disease, and so you should take steps to reduce your blood pressure as directed by your doctor.