ZocdocAnswersHow can I control my fear at my HIV/AIDS consultation?

Question

How can I control my fear at my HIV/AIDS consultation?

I am terrified about going to my first HIV/AIDS consultation. I feel alone. What can I do to help?

Answer

First, realize that you are not alone. There is a tremendous group of individuals who are able, willing, and ready to help you to address your new condition with the strength that you need. Additionally, most people have friends or family who are able to provide a level of constant support and concern throughout your day to day fears and questions. Your primary care doctor will also be there to support you and answer questions that may arise after the diagnosis is made and any treatment has begun. Finally, there are many resources available, including online groups, local community groups, and others, which your primary care doctor or the specialist who is treating you will be able to offer at your first consultation. Knowledge about the disease will also help you to be able to face it with more courage. Because of the excellent medications that are now available, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) is not a quick and aggressive disease for most people. Rather, it is a chronic disease, like diabetes, that can be managed with careful follow up and dedication. Again, your doctor will be able to help you with all of this. Please speak to him or her about your concerns. Also, please let your partners or past partners know of your diagnosis so that they can also be tested and take precautions.