search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What causes hoarseness of the throat in the morning?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat causes hoarseness of the throat in the morning?

Question

I always wake up sounding like a man. I am a slightly chubby 31 year old woman. Why is my throat so hoarse.

Answer

Let me start by saying that there is any way I can will be able to tell you with any kind of certainty exactly what is going on in your particular case without being able to take a thorough history and perform a detailed examination. I am happy to give you some information, and my best guess as to what might be going on, but I would definitely recommend going to an ENT (ears, nose, throat) physician to be evaluated. One important thing to ask would be whether you are a smoker, which can definitely have detrimental effects on your larynx (voice box) and cause hoarseness. There are lots of other causes of hoarseness however...one of the more common causes of hoarseness in the morning is something called laryngopharyngeal reflux. When you lie flat at night, gravity is no longer working for you helping to keep your stomach acid in your stomach. This can allow acid to reflux through your esophagus (swallowing tube) up to the level of your larynx. The acid is very irritating to the larynx and can cause edema and erythema within the larynx resulting in hoarseness. In order to diagnose this problem, an ENT would need to thoroughly examine you, including your larynx. I hope this helps.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances