ZocdocAnswersI'm 15 years old and I was wondering how you can get rid of a huge zit fast.

Question

I'm 15 years old and I was wondering how you can get rid of a huge zit fast.

I've had this pimple for so long (around 3 weeks) and it won't go away!!!

Answer

Unfortunately, pimples are a part of life that all of us have to deal with. They are the way that the face and body respond to bacteria and other matter that clogs pores, in that the body begins an immune response to fight the supposed invaders. The increased blood flow and infection fighting cells team up to make the pore become angry, red, inflamed, and painful. Even more important, they make a small pimple a big, highly visible, deal. While those with repeated bouts of acne are encouraged to seek help from a physician, either their primary care doctor or a dermatologist, depending on the severity and how well it responds to treatment, everyone will have to learn how best to address an isolated pimple that won't go away. Unfortunately, there is no great solution. Proper skin hygiene, including the appropriate use of over the counter medications such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, can be beneficial to many people in preventing pimples. But once you have a pimple, patient waiting and leaving it alone (just like your mother always says) is usually the best bet to let the body heal itself and stop causing more red, annoying, inflammation.