Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?


I have sinus headaches.


You should see your primary care doctor. Sinus congestion is one of the most common medical problems, a problem that your primary care doctor probably sees on a daily basis. Sinus congestion often results from inflammation of the nasal and sinus passages due to contaminants in the air, such as smoke, pollen, mold, and mites. As a result, cleansing these passages is often a very effective way to keep the symptoms under control. One of the most effective ways to do this is with daily use of a nasal saline wash, using a Nettipot or similar apparatus. In addition to saline irrigation, there are numerous medications which can be added to help with the symptoms. If you also have significant eye symptoms from your allergies, then an antihistamine medication like loratidine or cetirizine might be particularly helpful, as it can help with both nasal and eye allergy symptoms. On the other hand, if your symptoms are primarily just nasal congestion, then your best bet is probably a nasal steroid spray, such as fluticasone. Talk to your primary care doctor first, who will be able to help you decide which is the most appropriate approach and will prescribe you the necessary medications.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.