Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see about a hemorrhoid?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about a hemorrhoid?


I have had a hemorrhoid for several years now sometimes it bleeds, not sure if I have to do anything about it?


Your primary care doctor will be an excellent place to start your work up and treatment of your hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are extremely common, especially as we age, and there are many treatments available. Some of these are simple things, such as stool softeners or other therapies designed to reduce symptoms, and others are much more involved. Your primary care doctor will be able to discuss your symptoms with you and decide together how aggressive you would like to be in the treatment. There are surgeries and banding procedures that can be done to remove the inflamed blood vessel, and the outcomes of these are typically excellent. Your doctor will be able to refer you to the appropriate specialist, either a general surgeon or gastroenterologist, as needed. Additionally, you should meet with your doctor to discuss this bleeding. While hemorrhoids could be the cause, any bleeding per rectum should be carefully reviewed to make sure that it is not something more serious. A complete review of your medical history and other bodily systems will help your doctor to make sure that you are healthy and prepared for any further intervention, and also to avoid or prevent other common medical issues.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.