search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is a c-section more dangerous that natural birth?"

ZocdocAnswersIs a c-section more dangerous that natural birth?

Question

I would like a C-section done but worry about the dangers. I am a 31 year old woman. Will it be OK to have this procedure?

Answer

A c-section is a very routine surgical procedure done to retrieve a baby when a vaginal birth is either too dangerous, the woman is not progressing, or the baby is in distress. A c-section requires an incision in the lower abdomen where the uterus can be accessed. Babies born by c-section generally do just as well as vaginal births (comparing babies of the same gestational age). The only difference is that babies borne by c-section have a bit more trouble breathing initially than vaginal birth babies. From the woman's perspective, c-section adds additional pain, and longer recovery than a vaginal delivery. In addition, having a c-section increases the risk for uterine rupture on a subsequent pregnancy, and may reduce the total number of children a women can have. For these reasons, a c-section is not done unless there is a specific medical indication to have it done. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can discuss with you a plan for the birth of your child and discuss some of the indications of getting a c-section. In most every case, your doctor will recommend a vaginal birth with c-section as a back up in case sometime goes wrong. Good luck with your new baby.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.