Is a c-section more dangerous that natural birth?

I would like a C-section done but worry about the dangers. I am a 31 year old woman. Will it be OK to have this procedure?
A c-section is a very routine surgical procedure done to retrieve a baby when a vaginal birth is either too dangerous, the woman is not progressing, or the baby is in distress. A c-section requires an incision in the lower abdomen where the uterus can be accessed. Babies born by c-section generally do just as well as vaginal births (comparing babies of the same gestational age). The only difference is that babies borne by c-section have a bit more trouble breathing initially than vaginal birth babies. From the woman's perspective, c-section adds additional pain, and longer recovery than a vaginal delivery. In addition, having a c-section increases the risk for uterine rupture on a subsequent pregnancy, and may reduce the total number of children a women can have. For these reasons, a c-section is not done unless there is a specific medical indication to have it done. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can discuss with you a plan for the birth of your child and discuss some of the indications of getting a c-section. In most every case, your doctor will recommend a vaginal birth with c-section as a back up in case sometime goes wrong. Good luck with your new baby.

• Dr. Lynn Crymes
    Dr. Lynn Crymes MD
    OB-GYN
    851 Leonard Fulghum Dr.
    Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
  • Dr. Amy Warner
    Dr. Amy Warner MD
    OB-GYN
    851 Leonard Fulghum Dr.
    Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
  • Dr. James Kim
    Dr. James Kim MD
    OB-GYN
    5201 Willow Springs Rd.
    LaGrange Highlands, IL 60525