search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is a c-section more dangerous that natural birth?"

ZocdocAnswersIs a c-section more dangerous that natural birth?

Question

I would like a C-section done but worry about the dangers. I am a 31 year old woman. Will it be OK to have this procedure?

Answer

A c-section is a very routine surgical procedure done to retrieve a baby when a vaginal birth is either too dangerous, the woman is not progressing, or the baby is in distress. A c-section requires an incision in the lower abdomen where the uterus can be accessed. Babies born by c-section generally do just as well as vaginal births (comparing babies of the same gestational age). The only difference is that babies borne by c-section have a bit more trouble breathing initially than vaginal birth babies. From the woman's perspective, c-section adds additional pain, and longer recovery than a vaginal delivery. In addition, having a c-section increases the risk for uterine rupture on a subsequent pregnancy, and may reduce the total number of children a women can have. For these reasons, a c-section is not done unless there is a specific medical indication to have it done. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can discuss with you a plan for the birth of your child and discuss some of the indications of getting a c-section. In most every case, your doctor will recommend a vaginal birth with c-section as a back up in case sometime goes wrong. Good luck with your new baby.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances