ZocdocAnswersWill the cabbage soup diet leave me feeling weak?

Question

Will the cabbage soup diet leave me feeling weak?

The problem I face when I try any diet is that caloric restrictions often leave me feeling weak. I am a 38 year old female. Will I experience the same fatigue with the cabbage soup diet?

Answer

I generally strongly recommend against any crash or fad diets. The cabbage soup diet falls into this category. I say this because crash diets do not fix the problem that leads to being overweight. They replace one set of bad eating behaviors with another. Although the may result in some early weight loss, they are almost always abandoned either because they make you feel terrible or because the are not realistic to employ over the long haul. Most people who lose diet with a fad diet gain it right back again, because they have not learned while dieting to implement new life-long eating behaviors. A better way is to set up an appointment with a nutritionist. A nutritionist is highly skilled at taking an overall inventory of your eating behaviors and weight loss needs. Together with you, they can come up with a realistic and gradual plan for weight loss and for changing the way you eat. This is much more likely to be successful because, in addition to being gradual, it also teaches you slowly to make the right kinds of eating choices that you will be able to carry forward with you for the rest of your life.